2016-12-27

Carving Spoons

Here are a few spoons I've completed recently. Most have some areas that are sanded, many have some areas that are knife-finished. One thing I'm learning is that even if I plan to sand the spoon, sanding time is cut way down if I do some careful finishing knife work after the spoon is thoroughly dry. (I guess I assume you know that it's easiest to do most of the carving while the wood is as wet as possible).

All of these spoons are finished with raw flax oil.

The spoons pictured are spoken for by their new owners. Others will be available in the weeks to come; watch this blog for news on that.





Paper birch server, 8-3/4" x 2-1/2". 







Catalpa server, 7-1/2" by 2-3/8". 












Black Cherry server, 8-1/2" by 2-3/8".







Black Cherry eating spoons, approx. 6-1/2" x 1-5/8".





Apple serving spoon, 8" x 2-3/8". Knot uncolored. That knot made me change my intended design twice. Apple never seems to cooperate with me, but I do love the results when I persevere.








Yellow birch server, 9" x 2-1/2". Yellow birch is hard like sugar maple, and smells of wintergreen when you carve it fresh. Even stored in the freezer, the wintergreen aroma dissipates. I like how the midwinter sun made the thin spot on the bowl glow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is not meant to be a forum for any and all viewpoints. However, I do welcome questions or comments that help clarify the information in my posts. I try to close comments after a few months, so if you have a question about an old post, please feel free to email me directly: spirithillwoodworks@gmail.com.