2023-12-10

ABOUT US

Spirit Hill Woodworks is named after the place I grew up, in northern Wisconsin. The north fork of the Spirit River rises in the Town of Hill, an unincorporated rural township that includes Wisconsin's highest point. I grew up roaming the woods I was living in, on foot, bike, and skis. I became a woodworker partly as a way to stay connected to the forest where I grew up, and the people I grew up among, many of whom made at least part of their living from the forests around us.

I have made

kitchen cabinets, furniture, garden gates, funerary urns, you name it! But what I love most is making kitchen items like bowls, cutting boards, and spoons: things that people will use every day, and that will hopefully bring a little beauty and uniqueness to somebody's living space. My wife and I, and my extended family, use my kitchen wares every day. Some are special because of spectacular wood grain. Others, especially our spoons, become special to us as they develop a patina through years of use. We hope you enjoy them like we do.

The wood I work with comes from two main sources: my family property in Wisconsin, and salvaged urban wood from Atlanta, where I live. If you see me in person, and ask, I can probably tell you where every piece of wood I've turned into a bowl or spoon or cutting board came from. Sometimes I even knew the tree before it came down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is not meant to be a forum for any and all viewpoints. However, I do welcome questions or comments that help clarify the information in my posts. I try to close comments after a few months, so if you have a question about an old post, please feel free to email me directly: spirithillwoodworks@gmail.com.