2021-01-24

All I Have Is a Hammer

As a long-time woodworker, when I need to do or make something, my first thought about approaching the challenge is usually in the form of wood. (Within reason. Show me a clogged drain and I'll get the plumbing tools.)





Recently my challenge has been mounting a variable frequency drive and a

start/stop switch on my tablesaw. At the same time, I needed to cover a big hole the prior owner cut in the left side of the saw's cabinet. The standard approach, I assume, would be to screw, rivet, or weld a piece of new steel over the hole, buy an “enclosure” for the VFD, and run the various cords through knockouts in the switch box and drive enclosure, with “cord grips” screwed in to the knockout holes to provide strain relief. I looked around my shop and saw wood . . . mostly. The new stop/start switch (actually, it's two momentary contactors that activate the VFD) came in a single-gang box with knockouts, so I ordered a cord grip from McMaster-Carr. The hole in the saw's side was covered with a piece of plywood, and the VFD got screwed to that. Then I made a couple little “strain relief” clamps of wood. Now if I snag the on/off cord, or the saw's power cord, as I walk by, I won't yank out the cable. 










I am sure this isn't up to code. We'll see what happens when the electrician comes in this week to wire up my 3-phase jointer.


Since I'm sure this isn't up to code, let me add: I would only recommend this approach for temporary, emergency use. In fact, I am not happy about the dust already accumulating on top of the VFD - - I think I might need to make or buy a real enclosure, with vent fans and screens, to keep it both dust-free and cool. Still, I think sharing this possibility merits a blog post.









It's often easier, when chamfering and planing small parts like this, to clamp the plane upside-down in the bench vise, and run the parts over the inverted sole as if it's a miniature jointer.


I made the notches in the clamp bar just slightly smaller than the diameter of the cord, so that the bar is bent slightly as the screws are tightened. Only slightly though! Perhaps someday you'll need to jury-rig some wiring just for the weekend to get a job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is not meant to be a forum for any and all viewpoints. However, I do welcome questions or comments that help clarify the information in my posts. I try to close comments after a few months, so if you have a question about an old post, please feel free to email me directly: spirithillwoodworks@gmail.com.