2021-02-14

Mobilizing a Dust Collector Part Two


In this previous post, I had started mobilizing an old, wall-mounted, Oneida cyclone system. I have now been using the system for a few weeks and an update is in order.




The above photo shows the unit attached to the jointer. I am using a 6" flex hose to connect the collector to the machines, so most of my machines will be getting 6" dust hookups. Table saw, bandsaw, router table, jointer and planer already have them. The photo below gives you a sense of how big the 6" pipe is compared to the 4" outlet that's standard on most machines. That 15" planer has a 4" outlet.






This setup works as well as or better than any dust collection I've ever used. My impression is that when you have the jump in size from 4" to 6" diameter, you create a pressure drop which coaxes the shavings out that much more emphatically. It's a real pleasure to run a board through the planer and watch the steady stream of shavings go up the clear tube and into the cyclone!


Here's a little Drew Langsner touch, a section of aspen sapling with a branch/crotch used as a hanger for the power cord. 


The mother ship/daughter ship arrangement for emptying the barrel works . . . okay. In practice, the two sets of casters DO interfere with each other. I might make the under-barrel platform smaller to create more clearance. You'll also notice I have a couple of 2x4 under the barrel to raise it to the right height. I found that the section of hose connecting the bottom of the cyclone with the top of the barrel isn't as flexible as I thought. I may replace it with new hose, which would have the added benefit of making it easier to empty the barrel.



 Here's another little . . . adjustment. More weight was resting on the two wheels on the cyclone side of the unit. So these granite counterweights restore balance. It's easier to steer the unit with the counterweight.


Finally: One thing I need to add is a handle of some sort for pushing the thing around. I've been moving it by gripping the conical section of the cyclone. Awkward. When I complete that, I'll show you.

Overall, so far, I give myself a B+ for this project. It works, but it's not as slick, convenient, or finished as it might be. 

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is not meant to be a forum for any and all viewpoints. However, I do welcome questions or comments that help clarify the information in my posts. I try to close comments after a few months, so if you have a question about an old post, please feel free to email me directly: spirithillwoodworks@gmail.com.