2021-02-21

Yet Another Use for 1-2-3 Blocks

Today I was making a rolling rack for plywood and other sheet goods. The base required me to rip frame parts with a four degree bevel along their lengths, so that the plywood will lean back safely against the center of the cart and not tip over.





I needed the central frame members (joists?) to be narrower than the outer ones, to accommodate the four degree slope. As luck had it, the inner joists needed to be one inch narrower. Easy! Just move the fence over an inch for the last two cuts . . . except . . .


My old Unisaw tilts right, so for a long beveled rip like this, I prefer to put the fence to the left of the blade, so that the workpiece won't get pinched and kicked back if I inadvertently lift it a little, or if I release some tension wood as I cut and the two parts spread apart from each other. 


The challenge is that there is no tape measure for the rip fence to the left of the blade. So I got out my 1-2-3 blocks and did this:











Obviously, there are other ways to solve this specific problem. This was quick, easy, simple, and didn't involve any measuring with numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is not meant to be a forum for any and all viewpoints. However, I do welcome questions or comments that help clarify the information in my posts. I try to close comments after a few months, so if you have a question about an old post, please feel free to email me directly: spirithillwoodworks@gmail.com.